Heavy Meddling Continues on Facebook – Do Not Read Until Monday
In the ever-changing agency world, there’s one thing that stays the same: Do Not Read Until Monday.
Heavy meddle: More misinformation campaigns muted on Facebook
This week Facebook announced it had identified another orchestrated misinformation campaign, removing 652 pages, accounts and groups. This time, though, the actors were traced not only to Russia, but to Iran as well, and did not seem focused on the upcoming midterm election.
However, Facebook’s news came the same day Microsoft released its own findings on Russian hackers targeting Republican groups, particularly those critical of Russia.
Facebook also had its hands full with clearing house with data-collecting apps, suspending 400 and banning one of the apps central to the Cambridge Analytica scandal. Controversy continued around some of its more discriminatory ad options, to which the company responded with a promise to remove some 5,000 of such options.
It also got its hand slapped by Apple, which said it would remove the Facebook-owned VPN app Onavo from the App Store for data collection concerns.
Overall, it’s no wonder what happened to Mark.
Just kidding, that’s just someone’s very excellent Reddit find.
Odds + The End
- Lyft continues its nice-guy image with offering up free rides on election day.
- It’s also teaming up with SeatGeek to drop you closer to your concert/game seats.
- Giphy got a desktop redesign to emphasize Stories, or collections of gifs.
- It’s also holding a film festival November 8 in New York City.
- Could this mean the end of GrimLon?
- WTF: Procter & Gamble is trying to trademark ‘LOL” and other internet shorthand.
- The world’s first feature-length VR film is set to debut this fall and focuses on miracles from the gospel of John.
- Ah we finally got a week without thinking about Alex Jones. Wait, what? NOOOOOOOOO.
- Fellow kids: Fortnite is sweetening the deal for users to turn on two-factor authentication.
- An Overwatch league show is coming to Twitter, and Twitch will stream Pokemon movies and shows.
- The New York Public Library is serializing novels via Instagram Stories.
- Hey Bailey, you should go to this.
- Facebook is rating the trustworthiness of users rating trustworthiness of news. Nothing dystopian about that.
- WhatsApp is helping the Indian government crack down on misinformation. Or it isn’t.
- August 24, 2018