Alexa’s Resolutions Game is Strong – Do Not Read Until Monday
New year, new y— nah, pretty much the same deal as before – Do Not Read Until Monday.
Alexa, can you … calm the &^#% down?
Alexa must have like the longest New Year’s Resolution list of all-time. In the less-than-a-week of 2018, she’s already:
- Integrated to headphones and other Bluetooth-enabled devices.
- Learned how to cook better.
- Gearing up to become Amazon’s next money maker via voice ads.
That’s like losing 20 pounds, learning a new language and finally finishing War & Peace (yeah right) in five days. Calm down, Alexa, you’re making the rest of us look like crap over here.
If that’s not enough, Amazon itself made news for patenting a magic mirror that lets you try on clothes virtually, while analysts suggested it might just up and acquire Target. No telling whether they’ll live up to that “Expect more. Pay less.” promise though.
Spotify sneakily files for IPO, gets slapped with $1.6 billion lawsuit
After months, if not years, of speculation, Spotify looks like it’s ready to go public, sneakily filing for an IPO in recent weeks. It looks like the IPO could launch in Q1. While details haven’t been confirmed on that by the company, it did take time to announce it reached 70 million subscribers as of January 4. That’s up from around 60 million in July.
Before you start liquidating your assets and diversifying your portfolio, though, know this: The music-streaming company also just fell on the wrong end of a $1.6 billion lawsuit. The suit, filed by Wixen Music Publishing, alleges millions of songs on the service may be lacking the proper licenses. For comparison, Spotify has been valued at around $16-$20 billion in recent months. So… yikes.
Odds + The End
- The FCC released the final version of its order nuking net neutrality. Coincidentally, Chairman Ajit Pai nuked his CES appearance just ahead of its publication, presumably because he’s a humble guy and doesn’t want all that positive attention he’d get.
- Though Alexa might lead in voice assistants, Smart TV league-leader Roku wants in on the action, and will now integrate into smart speakers and other devices.
- Somehow the underdog (or non-existent) in both those markets, Microsoft hopes to make up some lost IoT ground with a new smart thermostat.
- Do I have to talk about Logan Paul? I don’t want to talk about Logan Paul.
- Some users are seeing a cross-posting functionality from Instagram to WhatsApp. Smart move for Insta’s international growth.
- “Search engine-turned-tech behemoth” Google is reportedly mulling cutting “long-standing restaurant guide” Zagat in a move to “streamline” its “many assets”.
- Thought it’ll be August till he Beats it, looks like Jimmy Iovine’s GTFO of Apple Music.
- Similar to a scorned lover, Apple might dry its tears while doing some serious binge-watching. Could Ben & Jerry’s be next?
- While we’re in Cupertino, let’s remember Siri can now brief you on the day’s news.
- Facebook scored a couple wins for Watch, including CBS late-night clips and the Golden Globes pre-show, the latter a steal from Twitter.
- January 6, 2018